<$BlogRSDUrl$>


Sunday, October 09, 2005

Wikipediaed 

The refurbished homepage went up Friday evening, and I've gotten a couple three nice comments about it. It's not SciFi.com slick, but then I don't have their budget. Maybe I'll invest in something more dramatic for Locus Online's 10th anniversary, which is only a year and a half from now (!).

I googled 'locus online' this afternoon to see if Google had cached the revised homepage, and of course it had; I also noticed via those results that Wikipedia now has an entry for Locus Online. (There's been one for Locus Magazine for some time.) Who put it there? I have no idea. I look at Wikipedia once in a while but have never tried editing an entry myself, and remain slightly amazed that their 'anyone can edit' policy works, since invariably the entries I look at seem remarkably well written -- concise and thorough. How can that be if 'anyone' can edit? If there's a 'flaw' I can detect in Wikipedia, it's the inordinate coverage given to aspect of pop culture... e.g. the many many pages about the various Myst games...

Saw Corpse Bride last night, partly due to fortuitous timing (nothing else interesting was playing for another hour) and partly because I assured my partner it was a romantic comedy. Fortunately, I was right. I enjoyed it thoroughly, though as with some previously animated features, I would just as soon have notched the speed control down by 5 or 10%. Why the rush? Perhaps, if Steven (Everything Bad Is Good For You) Johnson is right, it's a deliberate, if unconscious, decision meant to encourage viewers to buy the eventual DVD that will permit repeated viewings...
Comments: Post a Comment


king under the dome

doctorow makers

banks transition

kress steal sky

atwood year flood

roberts yellow blue tibia

wilson julian comstock

 ness ask and answer

collins catching fire

collins hunger games

sawyer flashforward

baker hotel

disch proteus

tan tales

mazzucchelli asterios

zebrowski empties

morrow shambling

hamilton cpt future

beckett genesis

meller evo rx

bsg2

kurzweil transcend

sawyer wake

ness knife never letting go

barzak love we share

mcewan cement garden

holland sci-fi art

gladwell outliers

bittman food matters

baggini what's it all about

Still in progress:

ross rest is noise

aldiss billion year spree

pollan omnivore's dilemma



Mark R. Kelly
Profile
Email

The opinions expressed in this blog are solely those of Mark R. Kelly, and do not reflect the editorial position of Locus Magazine.
Locus
Links
Latest Posts
Archives

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?