<$BlogRSDUrl$>


Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Design Study 

First, I've changed the comment option for this blog to allow 'only registered users', which I hope will eliminate the dozen or so comment spam I've been getting every day for the past few days. If not, I'll just prohibit comments altogether; it's not as if I get all that many. Which is not to say that comments aren't appreciated; they certainly are, and if I'm reduced to allowing them only by email, I'll just manually paste any into the blog that are of general interest or needful of reply.

Second, I'm toying as ever with design refinements to the homepage of Locus Online. The latest study is here. There are three things going on here.

1) I've replaced the biege color of the left sidebar and date bars with a soft bluish green. I've never been really fond of that biege color, but it's hard finding soft colors (that don't distract from the overall page layout defined by the curvy rocketship line) that don't look like easter egg colors. I found the biege -- it's f7efde -- on another site, years ago. Looking at the new page on my laptop, on which colors aren't as intense as on a PC screen, even a flatscreen, the bluish green is perhaps not distinct enough from the purplish blue of the Locus Magazine right sidebar...

2) I've widened the page by another 50 pixels, to 800 pixels. (For the moment, some of the graphics have been stretched, rather than rebuilt.)

3) Most obviously, I've set up a 'highlights' or 'headlines' set of boxes at the top of the center pane, as a place to preserve links to the most worthy content of the past few weeks or months, to overcome the drawback of the strictly bloglike chronological format of the past 2 years, whereby such content scrolls down like everything else and might be missed by occasional viewers. Here again I'm not sure I'm happy with the colors; it needs to stand out, but perhaps the block of darker color is too much like a sore thumb.

Comments, opinions, feedback, are welcome, as always. (Via email if necessary.) I get so few, those I do get tend to be disproportionately influential...

PS Cynthia Ward's Battlestar Galactica review arrived today. Balancing the desire to 'space out' such reviews, with the currency of the review given the recent release of the DVD, and my own schedule... well, look for it by the end of the week.

UPDATE -- I've tweaked some colors on the posted file, so some of the comments above are no longer quite pertinent.
Comments: Post a Comment


king under the dome

doctorow makers

banks transition

kress steal sky

atwood year flood

roberts yellow blue tibia

wilson julian comstock

 ness ask and answer

collins catching fire

collins hunger games

sawyer flashforward

baker hotel

disch proteus

tan tales

mazzucchelli asterios

zebrowski empties

morrow shambling

hamilton cpt future

beckett genesis

meller evo rx

bsg2

kurzweil transcend

sawyer wake

ness knife never letting go

barzak love we share

mcewan cement garden

holland sci-fi art

gladwell outliers

bittman food matters

baggini what's it all about

Still in progress:

ross rest is noise

aldiss billion year spree

pollan omnivore's dilemma



Mark R. Kelly
Profile
Email

The opinions expressed in this blog are solely those of Mark R. Kelly, and do not reflect the editorial position of Locus Magazine.
Locus
Links
Latest Posts
Archives

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?