<$BlogRSDUrl$>


Saturday, January 19, 2008

New PC Glitches and Fixes 

Per C.E. Petit's comment to the previous post, I've fixed my network adapter (aka wireless receiver) problem; he suggested simply unplugging the device, then plugging it back in. That worked. I've also found two other solutions: in the network settings dialogue, disable the wireless connection, then re-enable it; this has the same effect as unplugging and plugging back in. Best, I've simply reset the PC's power settings so that the thing never goes into hibernation. The default had been 20 minutes. I can shut it down when I go to work each day if I want to, but while I'm home, I'd just as soon not have it keep conking out on me.

This morning I had another problem: I woke the machine up, clicked update in Outlook, and got a Windows error message to the effect that "symantic system network inoperable" or somesuch (I didn't write it down), with the effect being that Outlook would not download any email. I waited half the day, rebooting several times to no better effect, then phoned HP. Turned out HP no longer provides phone technical service for new PCs, so I went online and launched a technical service chat. Eventual result: some problem with the pre-installed Norton Virus utility. Turning off ingoing and outgoing email scanning solved the immediate problem -- Outlook downloaded pending emails from the server -- and even though Norton reactivated the scanning after 15 minutes, Outlook has been working ever since. HP did follow up with instructions for re-installing Norton, and suggested as a last resort contact Norton themselves to diagnose the problem with their utility. If Outlook hangs from this problem again, I'll do one or both of those.

Promise to get back to real Locus Online related content soon. Should have a review from Howard & Lawrence of CLOVERFIELD by tomorrow night, or Monday morning at latest.
Comments: Post a Comment


king under the dome

doctorow makers

banks transition

kress steal sky

atwood year flood

roberts yellow blue tibia

wilson julian comstock

 ness ask and answer

collins catching fire

collins hunger games

sawyer flashforward

baker hotel

disch proteus

tan tales

mazzucchelli asterios

zebrowski empties

morrow shambling

hamilton cpt future

beckett genesis

meller evo rx

bsg2

kurzweil transcend

sawyer wake

ness knife never letting go

barzak love we share

mcewan cement garden

holland sci-fi art

gladwell outliers

bittman food matters

baggini what's it all about

Still in progress:

ross rest is noise

aldiss billion year spree

pollan omnivore's dilemma



Mark R. Kelly
Profile
Email

The opinions expressed in this blog are solely those of Mark R. Kelly, and do not reflect the editorial position of Locus Magazine.
Locus
Links
Latest Posts
Archives

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?