<$BlogRSDUrl$>


Friday, February 13, 2004

Awards Db Update 

I updated the Locus Index to Science Fiction Awards today, mostly to correct a problem that an alert visitor to the site emailed me about a couple weeks ago. Apparently when I folded in, last month, results of the Locus Online 1999 poll for all-time best novella, novelette, and short story, I'd used a preliminary set of results rather than the final set as posted. Or in importing records from one database to another, they'd gotten scrambled somehow. Or something. Anyway they weren't right, so I wanted to get them fixed. I also added the results for all-time anthology and collection, which I hadn't gotten last month.

While I was at it, I folded in the recent nominations for the Nebulas, the Clarke, the PKD, and the BSFAs, though not 3 or 4 other sets of nominations that have already been announced this year. I'll get to them.

Since the pages of the Awards Index site are so inter-linked, it would be risky to update just a portion. So I always re-generate the entire site, some 2500+ html pages. Takes 1/2 hour to an hour for the database to generate all the pages (depending on which computer I'm on), and a similar amount of time to upload them all to the server (depending on what connection I have.)

I realize that some of the global tallies are now no longer strictly correct; they compile recent nominations for awards whose winners have not yet been announced, while the tally breakdown assumes nominations are either winners or losers. If I continue to do interim updates of the site, I'll have to fix the tallies so they only include awards whose results have been announced.
Comments: Post a Comment


king under the dome

doctorow makers

banks transition

kress steal sky

atwood year flood

roberts yellow blue tibia

wilson julian comstock

 ness ask and answer

collins catching fire

collins hunger games

sawyer flashforward

baker hotel

disch proteus

tan tales

mazzucchelli asterios

zebrowski empties

morrow shambling

hamilton cpt future

beckett genesis

meller evo rx

bsg2

kurzweil transcend

sawyer wake

ness knife never letting go

barzak love we share

mcewan cement garden

holland sci-fi art

gladwell outliers

bittman food matters

baggini what's it all about

Still in progress:

ross rest is noise

aldiss billion year spree

pollan omnivore's dilemma



Mark R. Kelly
Profile
Email

The opinions expressed in this blog are solely those of Mark R. Kelly, and do not reflect the editorial position of Locus Magazine.
Locus
Links
Latest Posts
Archives

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?